Friday, June 13, 2008

Family visit

Last weekend, we celebrated my 50-something birthday, along with Erica, Jack, and Kent (visiting from Baton Rouge). The weather was hot and humid the whole time, but they're used to it. (At least the pool was available for cool-downs!) Friday's birthday dinner was at a classic New Jersey diner, and we spent Saturday in NYC (well, after we worked out the train schedule): lunch at A Salt and Battery (a great fish & chips place!) and Chelsea Market. Sunday started with church (see Links), including lots of great music (it was recognition Sunday for choirs). Then we went to Trader Joe's, where E & J stocked up, since they don't have one close to home.

Kids change so fast, so it was especially great to spend time with Kent, who doesn't e-mail or call regularly. In April, we spent a weekend with Joanna's family, but I'm ready for another grandson fix soon! Our family get-together in August couldn't come soon enough, as far as I'm concerned! Thank goodness for blogs, digital photos, and nearly-free additional mobile phone minutes. I think of my grandparents in Montana, who saw us once every few YEARS and talked with us on the phone only occasionally, in those expensive, pre-deregulation days. My mom and Grandmother wrote letters about once a week, since that was the main way people could keep up. And if you wanted to keep up with 10 people, you had to write 10 separate letters -- imagine that!

1 comment:

erica said...

Sometimes I get nostalgic for letter-writing, even though I never partook much of it myself. It seems like a dying art, with emails being so informal and ephemeral.

We had a great visit, and Kent loved getting his grandparent fix, too. And hey, you guys were among the last people to see his uber-long hair before I cut it yesterday!